The question you should ask about online communications is this: “What am I getting back for all of the effort I put in?” If your answer is along the lines of “I don’t know” or “I’m sure it’s worth it in the long run”, you need to take a step back, get a wide-angle view of what you’re trying to achieve.
Taking an objective, holistic view of your company’s online activities, an online communications audit provides a set of recommendations to reach marketing objectives using online channels. A good audit starts with your brand values and marketing objectives, and tries to answer the following questions:
- Are my brand values reflected accurately in online communications, including social media, advertising, brand websites and PR?
- Can I measure the success of online activities in achieving marketing objectives?
- Are my offline and online activities aligned to improve the performance of both?
- What are online best practices for my industry / marketing objectives?
During an audit, all aspects of a company’s online messaging are analysed:
- Application of corporate identity across channels
- Email newsletters
- Social media metrics communication and metrics
- Content analysis of online content (including user-generated content)
- Public perception of company’s brand, products, services
- Website (usability, content, conversion optimization)
- Search engine optimization
- Online advertising
- Online PR
On the analytics side, the audit draws data using website, social media and SEO analytics tools. These are some of the more important metrics to include:
- Social media – Engagement, sentiment, post timing, influencers, follower score
- Website / blog – Goal conversions, pages per session, traffic sources (and conversion rate differences)
- Email – click rate, list growth, newsletter engagement stats.
- Advertising – Customer lifetime value vs CPC, conversion rate
- Search – Pages receiving traffic from search engines, conversion rate, linking root domains
Every audit has different priorities, but the notes above hold true for most. It provides deep insight into all aspects of a company’s online presence, and gives decision-makers the tools to make the right decisions.
Does your company need an audit? Contact us for pricing and more details.